Lunamaria's Testbed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  IRC Chat  

Books

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Techi Zinphio

Techi Zinphio

Books Empty
PostSubject: Books   Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 am

What books have you read? What's next? Any in particular you're looking to read?

I just finished Halo: The Cole Protocol, and it was enjoyable, and I applaud the author for actually trying to convey a feeling of war, by having lots of death & destruction. The only problem? I could care less for most of the characters, they received so little attention that I knew nothing about them. Most of those who did died fairly quickly, and the character interactions weren't really attention-grabbing. Another issue I had was that, unlike the other books, the Chapter starts were not dated. So I had nearly no recognition of how long D event happened after C event and so forth.

I just started Imperial Commando, the sequel to Republic Commando, the 501st. It has all the character I wanted out of a read, but sometimes it does drag a bit for me. Describing how bad the clones get it does get repetitive, but it is the focus of the book, and normally it is in dialogue to other characters so it does make sense.

After I'm done with that, I'm going to be on the search for Darth Bane: Rule of Two, The Horus Heresy series for Warhammer 40k, and the Mass Effect books: Ascention, Revelation, and Redemption. Not-Sci-fi-wise probably Life of Pi.
Back to top Go down
Alistair

Alistair

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:30 am

Lessee

The last book i finished was a couple months ago and it was The Five People You Meet in Heaven, by Mitch Albom, and I have to say that it easily worked it's way into my top *insert number here*. I enjoyed...pretty much everything about this book, despite it's very depressing subject, but in light of that, it really doesnt feel that dark when you read it. If I were to reccommend a book, it'd be that one^^^

As for the future, I still need to get my hands on the Lost Symbol (I think thats it) by Dan Brown, even though looking back, I didn't particularly like his writing style, I still feel a need to read this one.

As for Life of Pi, being the only book I've ever read more than once on choice, It's also one of my favourite books and it's just such an inviting premise and everything. Enjoy it Techi, ENJOY IT OwO
Back to top Go down
liubei013

liubei013

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 12:46 am

@Halo: I never really got into the games (played first one, meh; played 2nd one on friend's xbox co-op, was okay) but the books were entertaining, especially the main 'Spartan' ones. I have yet to read the Cole Protocol novel though...

@SW Comm: Ah, nice to see someone else here reading Traviss' RC/IC series. Very Happy
The IC novel does seem to drag out a bit; more so than the original 'trilogy.' And the 'end' leaves a lot of stuff out in the open, of course.

@topic: At my sister's recommendation I went and read (and finished) Storm Front, book One of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It's a fairly interesting read, with good characters and the use of the supernatural in a modern setting. Great, now I got to see if she has any of the other books... >.>
Back to top Go down
Lunamaria
Admin
Lunamaria

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 12:54 am

I'm guessing non-fiction doesn't count, I've been reading a lot of that lately and some funny ones like, "Do polar Bears Get Lonely?" Lots of little facts for me to stew my head with.

Other than that, still waiting for the rest of the Emberverse books that I love yet are so hard to get over here. I still think the first two are the best but they are all pretty good. The world ends only to rise again, I will read Island in Time at some point but I'm not sure I'd be such a fan of that.

There is also the mammoth, Tale of Genji still, not a good book really but as far as theme goes, it helps for the ancient Japan feel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lunamaria's Testbed :: Chat :: Open chat-
Jump to: